TIR 360

16 January 2017 // Archives

TIR on Twitter


NEW Department of Home Affairs rules on unabridged birth certificates have ruled that minors who are South African citizens entering South Africa may be carried by airlines without presenting birth certificates containing parents’ particulars. The minors will be assisted by ...
 >> read more


THE WORST of the rain deluge in southern Thailand, which affected many South Africans on holiday in the country, appeared to be over by Friday, with the meteorological office of Thailand forecasting only light showers over the next ...
 >> read more


NORWEGIAN Cruise Line’s 2018/19 itineraries will depart from seven European ports, including round-trip cruises from Southampton and Hamburg and programmes to the Caribbean, South America and Alaska. Highlights for the upcoming season include five ships in Europe, among them ...
 >> read more


THE GOVERNMENT confirmed last week that consulting firm Bain and Company had recommended plans to merge SAA, Mango and SA Express, but has confirmed no benefits which would accrue from such a move. Public Enterprises Minister Lynne Brown ...
 >> read more


ZIMBABWE’S largest bank has suspended the use of Visa cards in the country from January 15, as the collapsing economy struggles to cope with cash shortages. Local customers will still be able to make Visa transactions abroad. Daily limits ...
 >> read more


THE AIRPORTS Company South Africa will reduce the passenger service charge for domestic and international departures on April 1. The new tariffs for domestic passengers will drop from R127 per passenger departure to R82 – a 35.5 percent reduction, and ...
 >> read more

TIR Noticeboard

• Cathay Pacific has signed a new partnership with Hertz Global, which sees the company becoming the airline’s exclusive online car rental service provider. As of this month, Cathay passengers who make bookings online can receive discounts on Hertz Rent A Car basic car rental, starting with a special introductory discount of up to 20 percent.

• Virgin Atlantic and Flybe have agreed new codeshare flights to Scotland. Customers will be able to book tickets from Johannesburg with Virgin Atlantic and connect onto Flybe flights at Heathrow to Aberdeen or Edinburgh. The new flights are available for travel from March 26.

• Bath may soon become the first city in Britain to apply a tourist tax, in addition to the basic room rate and VAT for overnight visitors. The local council is considering introducing tourist bed tax for hotels and B&Bs, aimed to help the finances of Bath and North East Somerset.

• International travellers in Europe could soon be forced to buy tickets more than 12 hours in advance in a new security crackdown, with reports of an airport-style boarding system being introduced for all rail, bus and ferry travel going in and out of countries. The scheme is in response to recent terrorist attacks across Europe.

• Avis Rent a Car and Avis Van Rental recently opened a new branch in Empangeni, 15 kilometres from Richards Bay. The branch is open Monday to Friday 07h30 to 17h00, Saturday 08h00 to 12h00 and closed on Sundays.

• Marriott International has opened its first hotel in Guinea, West Africa, the Sheraton Grand Conakry.

Construction commences on MSC Bellissima, the fourth of 11 next-generation ships due to come into service over the next 10 years. This is part of a €9-billion investment that will see MSC Cruises’ capacity treble over the period.

• Munich Airport will become Germany’s first airport to achieve carbon-neutral operations. The governing bodies of the airport operating company adopted a resolution, which states that the CO2 emissions directly attributable to the airport’s operations will be reduced by 60 percent by 2030. The remaining 40 percent will take the form of carbon offsets.The costs of this climate protection program between now and 2030 will total €150-million.

• SATSA and South African Tourism have entered into a partnership for Indaba 2017. A dedicated free-standing SATSA Pavilion will be set up and located outside the ICC and DEC. SATSA members can book a table-top option at R12,500 (plus VAT). Members who take up this desktop opportunity will have full status as Indaba exhibitors.

• Royal Caribbean’s newly refurbished Empress of the Seas will make history for the cruise line with its first visit to Cuba during a five-night sailing departing Miami on April 19. The ship will then reposition to Tampa with two itineraries including calls to Havana on April 30 and May 20.

• GrandWest will host the 2017 Cape Town Motor Show from January 27 – 29 at the Grand Arena and Sun Exhibits.

Read the full editions of TIR
© Copyright 2017, TIR Southern Africa and Galileo Southern Africa, All rights reserved.